black root rotnoun
Definition of black root rot
: any of several diseases of plants marked by dark often confluent lesions of the root and sometimes the crown often involving the whole cortex: such as
a : a disease of apples caused by a fungus (Xylaria mali)
b : a disease of tobacco and various other plants caused by a fungus (Thielaviopsis basicola)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game