black root rotnoun
Definition of black root rot
: any of several diseases of plants marked by dark often confluent lesions of the root and sometimes the crown often involving the whole cortex: such as
a : a disease of apples caused by a fungus (Xylaria mali)
b : a disease of tobacco and various other plants caused by a fungus (Thielaviopsis basicola)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?