variants: or black poison
Definition of black poisonwood
: a tree (Metopium brownei of the family Anacardiaceae) native to southern Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and the West Indies that has a severely irritating sap and yields a dark close-grained hardwood He's a bushman who knows bush lore, … knows which trees shelter the howler monkeys, knows the poisonous black tarry sap from the black poisonwood and the antidote in the red gumbolimbo tree that usually grows nearby.— Jane P. Marshall, The Houston Chronicle, 4 Feb. 1996
— called also chechem
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game