Definition of bitter rot
1 : a very destructive disease of apples, grapes, and other fruit caused by a fungus (Glomerella cingulata) and producing cankers on the twigs, limbs, and fruit spurs and a spotting or blistering and decay of the fruit characterized by bitterness of the pulp
— called also anthracnose, ripe rot
2 : a rot of ripening grapes caused by an imperfect fungus (Melanconium fuligineum)
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game