Definition of bitter rot
1 : a very destructive disease of apples, grapes, and other fruit caused by a fungus (Glomerella cingulata) and producing cankers on the twigs, limbs, and fruit spurs and a spotting or blistering and decay of the fruit characterized by bitterness of the pulp
— called also anthracnose, ripe rot
2 : a rot of ripening grapes caused by an imperfect fungus (Melanconium fuligineum)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game