bite backphrasal verb
bit back; bitten back also bit back; biting back; bites back
Definition of bite back
1 : to attack or criticize someone after being attacked or criticized by them Weary of her rival's accusations, the candidate bit back with an aggressive ad campaign. —often + at She bit back at her rival with an aggressive ad campaign.
2 : to stop oneself from saying (something) I attempted to smile sweetly while biting back angry comments.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game