be on the lookout foridiom
variants: or keep a lookout for
Definition of be on the lookout for
: to watch or search for (something or someone) : be alert to Be on the lookout for flooded roads after heavy rainstorms. The police officer walked through the neighborhood, keeping a (sharp) lookout for any suspicious activity.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game