Definition of bee hummingbird
: a very small hummingbird (Mellisuga helenae) native to Cuba that is about 2.4 inches (6.1 centimeters) long from bill tip to tail tip Our greatest thrill, however, took place in a Cuban crocodile swamp, where we hoped to find the bee hummingbird, the smallest bird in the world.— Esther Quesada Tyrrell, International Wildlife, May/June 1991
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game