Definition of bee hummingbird
: a very small hummingbird (Mellisuga helenae) native to Cuba that is about 2.4 inches (6.1 centimeters) long from bill tip to tail tip Our greatest thrill, however, took place in a Cuban crocodile swamp, where we hoped to find the bee hummingbird, the smallest bird in the world.— Esther Quesada Tyrrell, International Wildlife, May/June 1991
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game