variants: or less commonly bed-sitter
plural bedsitters also bed-sitters
Definition of bedsitter
: a one-room apartment serving as both bedroom and sitting room : bedsit Ebury Street with its bedsitters, flatlets, small businesses, and round the corner a post-office, could not afford airs.— Patrick White
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game