variants: or less commonly bed-sitter
plural bedsitters also bed-sitters
Definition of bedsitter
: a one-room apartment serving as both bedroom and sitting room : bedsit Ebury Street with its bedsitters, flatlets, small businesses, and round the corner a post-office, could not afford airs.— Patrick White
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game