Definition of bear witness
1 : to show that something exists or is true —+ to His success bears witness to the value of hard work.Rising ticket sales bear witness to the band's popularity.
2 formal : to make a statement saying that one saw or knows something asked to bear witness to the facts She was accused of bearing false witness at the trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game