Definition of bear witness
1 : to show that something exists or is true —+ to His success bears witness to the value of hard work.Rising ticket sales bear witness to the band's popularity.
2 formal : to make a statement saying that one saw or knows something asked to bear witness to the facts She was accused of bearing false witness at the trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?