Definition of bear witness
1 : to show that something exists or is true —+ to His success bears witness to the value of hard work.Rising ticket sales bear witness to the band's popularity.
2 formal : to make a statement saying that one saw or knows something asked to bear witness to the facts She was accused of bearing false witness at the trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game