Definition of be bursting
1 : to be filled with something The crate was bursting with fruit. The dish is bursting with flavors. Her parents were practically bursting with pride.
2 : to want very much to do (something one is not yet able to do) I'm bursting to tell you the news, but I have to talk to Ken first.
3 British, informal : to need to urinate very badly
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game