Definition of battle scar
- … a man removed his Yankees cap to show a battle scar—received, he said, when he was a 14-year-old carrying a Kalashnikov in Lebanon's civil war.
- —Philip Kennicott, Washington Post, 30 Mar. 2005
- As forerunners of third-wave American folk music, Amy Ray and Emily Saliers now bear many battle scars from their run-ins with pop culture in the 20 years they've been performing.
- —Karen Iris Tucker, The Advocate, 30 Mar. 2004
- As battle-scarred gamblers are fond of saying, the only way to be sure you come out ahead is to buy the casino.
- —Jeffrey Kluger, Time, 1 Aug. 2005