Definition of battle scar
: a scar from a wound suffered in battle … a man removed his Yankees cap to show a battle scar—received, he said, when he was a 14-year-old carrying a Kalashnikov in Lebanon's civil war.— Philip Kennicott, Washington Post, 30 Mar. 2005 —often used figuratively As forerunners of third-wave American folk music, Amy Ray and Emily Saliers now bear many battle scars from their run-ins with pop culture in the 20 years they've been performing.— Karen Iris Tucker, The Advocate, 30 Mar. 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?