Definition of barometer bush
: a compact evergreen shrub (Leucophyllum frutescens of the family Scrophulariaceae) native to Texas and adjacent northern Mexico that has grayish-green hairy leaves and solitary, bell-shaped, usually pink or purple flowers Hope bloomed on those hardy plants, known to old-timers as barometer bushes because showers trigger their flowers.— Tracy Hobson Lehmann, San Antonio Express-News, 9 July 2011
— called also cenizo, Texas sage
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game