Definition of barometer bush
: a compact evergreen shrub (Leucophyllum frutescens of the family Scrophulariaceae) native to Texas and adjacent northern Mexico that has grayish-green hairy leaves and solitary, bell-shaped, usually pink or purple flowers Hope bloomed on those hardy plants, known to old-timers as barometer bushes because showers trigger their flowers.— Tracy Hobson Lehmann, San Antonio Express-News, 9 July 2011
— called also cenizo, Texas sage
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game