Definition of barber chair
1 : a specially constructed chair used in barbershops and usually having a footrest, a backrest that may be lowered to reclining position, and a hydraulic mechanism for adjusting the height of the chair
2 : a stump on which a slab is left standing when a tree is felled
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game