bar·ba·resque | \ ¦bärbə¦resk\
Definition of barbaresque
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Barbaresque (Entry 2 of 2)
: one of the natives of the Barbary Coast formerly noted for their piratical activity seventy thousand peasants huddled together because it had not been safe to remain out for fear of the Barbaresques— Bernhard Berenson
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game