Definition of banana belt
: a warm region —usually used in an exaggerated or facetious way to refer a relatively warm area in a region known for its cold climate … our last days on the peninsula (the arm of Antarctica that polar scientists disdain as the “Banana Belt”) …— Kate Ford, Wall Street Journal, 12 June 1998Anything south of here is considered Oregon's banana belt—temperatures run higher than elsewhere on the Oregon coast.— Jacques Von Lunen, Oregonian, 2 June 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game