balance outphrasal verb
balanced out; balancing out; balances out
Definition of balance out
1 : to make (a different or opposite thing) less powerful, noticeable, etc. : to compensate for Serve black coffee to help balance out the sweetness of the dessert. His quickness will balance out the other fighter's greater strength.
2 : to be or become equal or even The good times and the bad times balanced out
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game