Definition of bad off
1 : having little money They're pretty bad off now that he's lost his job.
2 : in a bad or difficult situation or condition When I heard how bad off they were, I asked if I could do anything to help. With respect to unemployment this state isn't too bad off compared to other parts of the country.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game