Definition of bad off
1 : having little money They're pretty bad off now that he's lost his job.
2 : in a bad or difficult situation or condition When I heard how bad off they were, I asked if I could do anything to help. With respect to unemployment this state isn't too bad off compared to other parts of the country.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game