Definition of backgrounder
1 : an off-the-record briefing for reporters
2 : something (such as an essay) that provides background information about a particular subject She believes birds are the best model for understanding human language. But before making her argument, she offers a highly informative backgrounder on bird song.— K. C. Cole
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game