Definition of backgrounder
1 : an off-the-record briefing for reporters
2 : something (such as an essay) that provides background information about a particular subject She believes birds are the best model for understanding human language. But before making her argument, she offers a highly informative backgrounder on bird song.— K. C. Cole
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?