Definition of back-alley
1 : having a mean, furtive, or squalid character or air back-alley gossip
2 : done secretly and illegally by someone using crude and dangerous methods … postabortion distress (often caused by back-alley operations).— Marguerite Holloway, Scientific American, April 2001
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game