Definition of babbling
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : idle, foolish, or nonsensical talk or chatter … the … remarks would have been nothing short of treason, if they had not been so obviously the mere babblings of an irresponsible lunatic.— P. G. Wodehouse
2 : the production of meaningless strings of speech sounds by infants Hearing-impaired children are frequently delayed in babbling. Babbling usually coincides with the beginning of one-handed reaching and rhythmic hand activity.— M. R. Hiller
Definition of babbling (Entry 2 of 2)
1a : talking idly or foolishly a babbling drunk
b : producing meaningless speech sounds a babbling baby
2 : producing a quiet, continuous sound (such as the sound of flowing water) a babbling brook
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game