Definition of awesomeness
: an awesome quality, character, or nature: such as
a : a quality that inspires awe grasping the awesomeness of her responsibilities … against the southern stars she saw a human form that isolated and lone appeared to her immense: the shape of a giant outlined amongst the constellations. As it approached her it shrank to common proportions … lost its awesomeness, and became menacing in its ominous and silent advance.— Joseph Conrad What seems to be missing, instead, is a large enough screen to show the awesomeness of the open skies and a large enough budget to show the awesomeness of aerial combat.— Norman Cousins
b informal : an extremely or amazingly good or impressive quality … is only 19—a girl given to bursting into the theme song from The Wonder Years during conversations and rhapsodizing about … the "awesomeness" of brown sugar …— Matt Tyrnauer The rapper's followup to 2016 critical darling and commercial smash-hit, To Pimp A Butterfly, consists of 14 tracks of pure Kendrick awesomeness.— Carolyn L. Todd "I did want to congratulate you all on this phenomenal new development. I think it's a crucial new step for the Circle and will mean a great deal to our overall awesomeness."— Dave Eggers
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game