variants: also British autonomise
autonomized; autonomizing; autonomizes
Definition of autonomize
: to make (something) autonomous … over time some systems of rules become autonomized as legal systems.— Michael Kaern et al., Georg Simmell and Contemporary Sociology, 1990 … the present regime has deregulated and autonomized the financial institutions which is a hallmark towards economic revival. — Pakistan Newswire, 10 Apr. 2002
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?