Definition of autonoetic
- Among the capacities thought to be uniquely human are autonoetic consciousness, the aspect of self-awareness that allows us to imagine our own experiences in different places at other times …
- —R. Shayna Rosenbaum et al., Science, 23 Nov. 2007
- It [episodic memory] makes possible mental time travel through subjective time, from the present to the past, thus allowing one to re-experience, through autonoetic awareness, one’s own previous experiences.
- —Endel Tulving, Annual Review of Psychology, 2002
- Autonoetic consciousness is the capacity that allows adult humans to mentally represent and to become aware of their protracted existence across subjective time.
- —Mark A. Wheeler et al., Psychological Bulletin, May 1997