Definition of autofluorescence
- In ultraviolet light, the material has a yellow to silvery autofluorescence that differs from the orange autofluorescence of lipofuscin.
- —Robert S. Rust and Diane Karluk, New England Journal of Medicine, 29 Aug. 2002
- Spectral-imaging technologies will discriminate emissions from multiple fluorescent probes, permitting simultaneous analysis of distinct optical probes and dramatically reducing background autofluorescence.
- —Harvey R. Herschman, Science, 24 Oct. 2003
autofluorescentplay \ˌȯ-(ˌ)tō-flu̇-ˈre-sᵊnt, -flȯ-\ adjective
- Two imaging techniques confirmed that blood flow was low in these tumors, and delivery of the naturally autofluorescent anticancer drug doxorubicin was decreased compared with delivery to transplanted tumors or normal tissue.
- —Peter Olson and Douglas Hanahan, Science, 12 June 2009