attribute (something) to (someone or something)idiom
Definition of attribute (something) to (someone or something)
1 : to say that (something) is because of (someone or something) He attributes his success to his coach. His doctor attributes his health problems to a poor diet and a lack of exercise.
2 : to think of (something) as being a quality of (someone or something) The study suggests that it is a mistake to attribute adult reasoning to children. Is it right to attribute complex emotions to animals? She attributed some importance to the research.
3 : to think of (something) as being made or created by (someone) The poem is usually attributed to Shakespeare, but some scholars doubt that he wrote it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game