Definition of attagirl
(Entry 1 of 2)
—used to express encouragement, approval, or admiration to a woman or girl They also wore ponytails out the backs of their hats and shouted “Attagirl!” every time a fielder made a nice stop in the dirt.— Brian MacPherson, Arizona Republic, 20 June 2006
Definition of attagirl (Entry 2 of 2)
chiefly US, informal
: an expression of encouragement, approval, or admiration given to a woman or girl I've had plenty of friends tell me they read these weekly updates and offer encouragement. I've also had lots of readers I don't know send attagirls or dieting suggestions by e-mail.— Susan Pierce, Chattanooga (Tennessee) Times Free Press, 13 May 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game