at a timeidiom
Definition of at a time
1 : during one particular moment I can only do one thing at a time. Please speak one at a time and not all at once. We carried the boxes two at a time up the stairs.
2 : during one period of time without stopping She can sit and read for hours at a time.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game