asymmetric carbon atomnoun
Definition of asymmetric carbon atom
: a carbon atom in union with four atoms or groups no two of which are alike, compounds containing such a carbon atom being capable of existing in two optically active forms which are distinguished by being respectively levorotatory and dextrorotatory and also in some cases by having enantiomorphous crystal forms
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game