ask forphrasal verb
asked for; asking for; asks for
Definition of ask for
: to request to see or talk to (someone) Unhappy with the service, he asked for the store manager. There's someone on the phone asking for you.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game