ask forphrasal verb
asked for; asking for; asks for
Definition of ask for
: to request to see or talk to (someone) Unhappy with the service, he asked for the store manager. There's someone on the phone asking for you.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game