Definition of ash heap
: a pile or mound of ashes and other waste —often used figuratively And the hallowed notion that banks should operate in secrecy … should be tossed on the ash heap of financial history.— L. J. Davis, Harper’s, June 1991… relegating the old-fashioned station break to the same television ash heap as the variety show, the “Please Stand By” sign and the teatime movie.— Bill Carter, New York Times, 21 Mar. 1993
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game