Definition of ascender
1 : the part of a lowercase letter (such as b) that rises above the main body of the letter also : a letter that has such a part
2 : a device used for climbing rope that slides freely in one direction and grips the rope when pulled in the opposite direction
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?