ascend (to) the throneidiom
Definition of ascend (to) the throne
: to become a king or queen He ascended the throne after the death of his father. In Shakespeare's play, Macbeth kills the king and ascends to the throne.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game