Love words? You must — there are over 200,000 words in our free online dictionary, but you are looking for one that’s only in the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary.
Start your free trial today and get unlimited access to America's largest dictionary, with:
- More than 250,000 words that aren't in our free dictionary
- Expanded definitions, etymologies, and usage notes
- Advanced search features
- Ad free!
Origin and Etymology of argh
First Known Use: before 12th centurySee Words from the same year
Definition of argh
- I was in Hawaii and I flipped on the TV and it was on. I was like, “Argh, I can't get away from it.”
- —Mariska Hargitay, quoted in Newsweek, 5 Nov. 2007
- “Aaargh!” said Ron as another twisted limb punched a large dent into his door …
- —J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 1999
- … the dog wants to be walked, the bills need to be paid and 346 emails have to be answered. Aaargh!
- —Eleanor Langston, Self, April 2009
- I'm a little more beat up this year … I'll tell you when it feels like it, when you go to bed. When you wake up you go, “Aargh.”
- —Pedro Martinez, quoted in Daily News (New York), 24 Aug. 2005
First Known Use of argh
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up argh? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).