ar·bi·ter el·e·gan·ti·ae | \ ˈär-bə-tər-ˌe-lə-ˈgan-shē-ˌē\
Definition of arbiter elegantiae
: a person who prescribes, rules on, or is a recognized authority on matters of social behavior and taste
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game