variants: or apolusis \ äˈpȯlüˌsēs , ˌapəˈlüsə̇s \
Definition of apolousis
: the ceremony in the Eastern Church of washing away the baptismal chrism performed by a priest on the eighth day after baptism
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game