ap·o·cri·si·ar·i·us | \ ˌapəˌkriz(h)ēˈa(a)rēəs\
variants: or less commonly apocrisiary \ -ˈkriz(h)ēˌerē , -zhərē \
plural apocrisiarii\ -a(a)rēˌī , -rēˌē \ or apocrisiaries
Definition of apocrisiarius
: a plenipotentiary delegate formerly representing a power and residing at a foreign capital especially : a papal nuncio serving at the imperial court in Constantinople during the early centuries of the medieval era
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game