Definition of apex predator
: a predator at the top of a food chain that is not preyed upon by any other animal The archipelago also harbors some of the highest densities in the world of so-called apex predators, the sharks, groupers and jacks who have no natural predators of their own but whose numbers have been depleted elsewhere by fishermen.— Christopher Pala, New York Times, 19 Dec. 2006 As apex predators, brown bears are secure throughout most of their range, but habitat loss not only threatens populations, but has led to an increase in human/bear encounters.— Ryan Elswick, Myrtle Beach (South Carolina) Sun-News, 18 Oct. 2001
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?