variants: or less commonly any ol' or any ole
Definition of any old
—used to describe someone or something that is not special or specific I don't care where I sleep. Any old couch will do.She won't drink just any old tea; it has to be a certain kind.Give me beer over champagne any old day (of the week).
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?