Definition of antpitta
: any of various small to medium-sized chiefly Central and South American forest birds (family Grallariidae) that have a very short tail and loud, low-pitched song and usually live on or near the ground
Note: Antpittas have been placed especially formerly in the family Formicariidae.The “tailless,” rarely viewed, robin-sized antpittas are best known by their haunting whistles.— Frank B. Gill and Robert S. Ridgely, Bird Watcher’s Digest, August 1993
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game