pit·ta | \ ˈpitə\
Definition of pitta
1 capitalized : a large genus (the type of the family Pittidae) of chiefly terrestrial nearly songless birds that are found principally in the southern part of Asia and in Australia and adjacent islands and that have short wings and tail, long legs, a stout bill, and brilliant plumage marked by sharply contrasting colors
2 plural -s : any bird of the genus Pitta
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game