variants: or less commonly antimaterialism
Definition of anti-materialism
: opposition to materialism Anti-communism was a favorite subject of the 1950s, he said, but so, to his surprise, was anti-materialism.— Gayle White Anyone of a certain age will recall that dumpster diving first became a lifestyle choice in the 1960s as part of the decade's brief flirtation with antimaterialism …— Janna Malamud Smith
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?