variants: or less commonly antimaterialism
Definition of anti-materialism
: opposition to materialism Anti-communism was a favorite subject of the 1950s, he said, but so, to his surprise, was anti-materialism.— Gayle White Anyone of a certain age will recall that dumpster diving first became a lifestyle choice in the 1960s as part of the decade's brief flirtation with antimaterialism …— Janna Malamud Smith
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game