an·tho·xan·thin | \ ˌan(ˌ)thōˈzanthə̇n, -(t)thə-\
Definition of anthoxanthin
: any of a group of ivory to yellow or orange crystalline pigments that are similar to anthocyanins in their solubility in plant cell sap but are derived in most cases from flavone or flavonol
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game