Definition of anthias
: any of various small, brightly-colored marine fishes (subfamily Anthiinae of the family Serranidae) that have elongated bodies, inhabit coral reefs, often occur in large schools, and include several popular aquarium fishes You'd expect a trashed, barren reef, but from the coral rubble grew algae, which brought in loads of small fish like anthias, and in turn tons of bigger ones like grouper and trevally.— Nick Lucey, Rodale's Scuba Diving, August 1997
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game