Definition of anthias
: any of various small, brightly-colored marine fishes (subfamily Anthiinae of the family Serranidae) that have elongated bodies, inhabit coral reefs, often occur in large schools, and include several popular aquarium fishes You'd expect a trashed, barren reef, but from the coral rubble grew algae, which brought in loads of small fish like anthias, and in turn tons of bigger ones like grouper and trevally.— Nick Lucey, Rodale's Scuba Diving, August 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game