an·the·mis | \ ˈan(t)thəmə̇s\
Definition of anthemis
1 capitalized : a large genus of Old World herbs (family Compositae) with pinnatifid leaves and daisylike heads in which the disk flowers are perfect and the ray flowers pistillate or neutral — see chamomile
2 plural -es : the dried flower heads of a common chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) used as a bitter tonic and stomachic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game