Definition of antanaclasis
: the repetition of a word within a phrase or sentence in which the second occurrence utilizes a different and sometimes contrary meaning from the first … believes the “Word” … in John 1:1 represents the figure antanaclasis … and changes its meaning each time it is repeated in a manner similar to Ben Franklin's quip, “We must all hang together or most assuredly we shall all hang separately.” — Ventura County Star, 6 Sept. 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?