answer for (something)idiom
Definition of answer for (something)
1 : to take responsibility for (something) I can't answer for their safety. The company will have to answer for any damage done by its employees.
2 : to be punished for (something) He must answer for his crimes.
3 US : to be used or serve as (something) The old bucket answered for a sink.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game