answer for (something)idiom
Definition of answer for (something)
1 : to take responsibility for (something) I can't answer for their safety. The company will have to answer for any damage done by its employees.
2 : to be punished for (something) He must answer for his crimes.
3 US : to be used or serve as (something) The old bucket answered for a sink.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game