Definition of ansatz
: an initial estimate of the solution to a mathematical or technical problem that is used to guide work to a more precise answer This schematic picture suggests that the surface flux distribution is coupled to the solar rotation. It is an appealing ansatz for describing part of the temperature data in Fig. 1B.— J. R. Kuhn et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game