Definition of ansatz
: an initial estimate of the solution to a mathematical or technical problem that is used to guide work to a more precise answer This schematic picture suggests that the surface flux distribution is coupled to the solar rotation. It is an appealing ansatz for describing part of the temperature data in Fig. 1B.— J. R. Kuhn et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game