an·i·mal·cu·lism | \ -kyəˌlizəm\
Definition of animalculism
1 : a former theory in biology: various obscure physiological and pathological phenomena are caused by the activities of minute invisible animals
2 : a former theory in biology: the spermatozoon contains the whole embryo in miniature — compare ovism
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game