Definition of angon
: a type of heavy javelin that resembled a Roman pilum and was used in the early Middle Ages by Germanic warriors (such as the Franks and Anglo-Saxons) In the royal grave at Sutton Hoo in East Anglia there were six large spears and three angons, or throwing spears, all of different types …— Carl Lindahl et al., Medieval Folklore, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game